Finding the best socket set for the money for every mechanic is so important for so many reasons.
Don’t know how to choose the best one?
Don’t worry. You’re not the only one.
There are many socket set brands available in the market right now but finding the best one can be a little bit of a hassle as the possibilities are endless these days.
Which is why, we are here very keen to hook you up with the quality socket set for your needs.
Today, in our budget socket set review, we will disclose everything you need to know in order to ace your perfect socket set.
Here’s our top 4 budget socket set for the money in short!
|Stanley 92-824 Socket Set||4.9 / 5|
|TEKTON 13201 Socket Set||4.8 / 5|
|Stanley STMT71652 Ratchet Set||4.8 / 5|
|Stanley 92-839 Black Socket||4.7 / 5|
Best Socket Set for Mechanic in 2018!
This review covers 10 of the top socket sets that we picked for you to choose from. Let’s start!
1. Stanley 92-824 Black Chrome and Laser Etched 69-Piece
The STANLEY 92-824 Socket Set is our first pick for you. This model comprises of 69 pieces of socket drivers and accessories.
Here’s what you will find in the purchase:
1/4″ sockets = 30 pieces, 3/8″ sockets = 33 pieces,
3/8″ drive pear head ratchet arm = 1 piece, 1/4″ pear head ratchet arm = 1 piece,
3/8″ spark plug socket (5/8″) = 1 piece, 3/8″ spark plug socket (13/16″) = 1 piece,
1/4″ extension bar (3″) = 1 piece, 3/8″ extension bar (6″) = 1 piece.
Each ratchet uses a very low operation arc of just 7° which is great if you want to reduce fatigue and increase torque.
This awesome model introduced Max-Drive design technology. This new radius corner design provides more 15% more torque. So that you can easily tighten any fastener and simplify the turning of any narrow rounded corner. This design also minimize slipping on frozen and rusted fasteners.
They feature a quick release mechanism for single-handed use! Win and win. The sizes of each socket and ratchet are laser etched onto it bodies, as well as the box.
You also get a hard case with it too. Good job figuring out. The 92-824 model has a black chrome coating which not only prevents rusting and promotes longevity, but it furthermore looks very chic!
- Stanley 92-824 is the fairly functional set that includes many (69) items conforming to ANSI standards.
- The durable chrome finish looks monolithic and has corrosion resistance, so it’s ready to last a long time.
- I can easily move with this set, as it is in a mobile storage system.
- I found some useful items like deep rosettes and low-arc ratchets, which are not found in other sets.
- Max Drive design seemed very useful to me, especially when I went all day with this set.
- Low-arc ratchets which feature quick release mechanism
- Comes in a hard case
- Sockets are not treated qualitatively and blacken from the coating.
- Flimsy case
2. TEKTON 1/2-Inch Drive Socket Set 58-Piece
Alright, now. We understand that there are a few reader there who are ready and willing to pay premium prices for a proper, quality socket set.
And for the, we have the very popular 13201 Socket Set from the very popular brand TEKTON.
The 13201 a socket set includes a count of 58 pieces of very premium 6-point sockets, and accessories.
This set has every size from 3/8 to 1 inch and 10 to 24 mm. And yes, it shows sizes in both SAE and metric (etched both on the sockets themselves and the case) for our many readers.
Apart from that, you’ll be happy to know that you furthermore get deep sockets aside from your usual shallow or standard sockets.
Next, you have 72-tooth ratchet with operates on a mere 5° degree arc, only. This means less hand movement for more torque. Great news for your arms, ey?
You also have universal joint and extra long 10-inch extension, which as you know already, we don’t get to see in many socket sets these days anymore.
Each and every socket is made from durable chrome vanadium steel with a mirror chrome plated finish for extra protection.
Finally, of course, everything you see in the TEKTON 13201 set comes nicely packed inside its very convenient carrying hard case.
- Before meeting with this set, I nowhere saw an elongated 10-inch expansion and universal connection.
- I like the versatility of this kit since it includes sizes from 3/8 to 1 inch and from 10 to 24 mm and I can use it on both shallow and deep lengths.
- The hard case leaves me calm about the integrity and safety of the tools inside.
- Each element of the kit has high strength since it is made of high-quality chrome-vanadium steel with chrome mirror finish.
- TEKTON Drive Socket Set is convenient for me to use this set because of the organization inside the case; every detail is in place and it’s easy for me to find something I need.
- Perfect socket set for mechanic
- I did not find the lever locks, so it rotates in different directions freely, without resistance.
- The handles on the ratchets seemed too rigid to me.
3. Stanley STMT71652 123 Piece Socket Set- Best Budget Socket Set
Next up, we have a socket set which comes with all the bells and whistles of your regular and basic sets, but with more!
It is the STMT71652 socket set from STANLEY and it is definitely a value-lover’s kind of set.
The STMT71652 socket comprises of 123 pieces of sockets and other tools. This model comes with SAE and Metric sized socket and strong drive tools. You also get deep sockets of various different sizes as well in the set.
Each and every component is made from Chrome Vanadium which a forged body for more power, more torque and more durability.
You have 2 ratchets of 2 varying sizes with quick release switch and reversible mechanism for the most effortless and smooth operation.
This model includes bit holder, extensions bars, spark plug sockets and hex keys among more similar accessories. Phew! That’s very much a mouthful!
Everything in the set comes neatly packed inside a very safe and portable hard case for you to carry with you wherever and whenever you work.
- It fits to work with this set because of the high-speed switch and the reversing mechanism. I accomplish the task much faster.
- Each item of Stanley STMT71652 has a chrome finish and is free from corrosion. I guess this will be a long time serving.
- A strong forged body inspires confidence, since it is chrome vanadium.
- The build quality seems decent to me judging by the state of the spanners and nails.
- All the elements of the kit are firmly fixed in the case and do not mix when closing the set, when I do not need it.
- Some ratchets are rough when I try to turn it off. Therefore, I recommend lubricating it before using it.
- The tools are tightly held in a case that I had to work hard before I released it.
4. Stanley 92-839 Black Chrome and Laser Etched Socket Set
We have previously reviewed the STANLEY 92-824 Etched Socket Set which is usually a great hit with users.
However, if you are still looking for a bit of an upgrade from it, then the 92-839 Socket Set from STANLEY just may be up your alley.
The 92-839 socket set comprises of 99 pieces of tools including its sockets and ratchet arms. Y
ou get 33 counts of 1/4” MaxDrive sockets and 39 counts if 3/8” MaxDrive sockets. You furthermore receive -1 count of 3/8” and then finally, 1 single 1/4” pear head ratchet arm.
The ratchet arm operates on a very low 7° arc that makes sure you arms you not wear out and the torque is never in the compromise.
Every single element of the 92-839 ratchet is made from black chrome, which not only ensures durability and strength, but it also make the set look sharp and chic!
Next, you have all the sizes and marking laser etched onto the bodies of the sockets and ratchets. You furthermore have the sizes visible on its box. Speaking of which, yes, you do get a convenient hard travel case in this set.
- It is one of the most versatile sets I’ve ever seen since it includes 99 items.
- I easily move with this set, despite the capacity and the number of items, thanks to the design of Max Drive.
- Stanley 92-839 is strong, as the case has a chrome finish with anti-corrosion properties.
- I found the thin keys (although usually square) and the quality finish of the ratchets and spanners, so I will never have problems with the design.
- One of the best quality socket set in the market
- After the first few uses, I found scratches on the chrome outer surface of the case.
- I was confused by the very low organization inside the case where all the details are intertwined, and the spanners and rosettes fall out.
5. Sunex 2569 1/2-Inch Impact Socket Set
Sometimes, the manual wrenching does doesn’t cut it. Many of us therefore rely on using our sockets in conjunction with an impact driver for some of the more heavy-duty scenes.
On that notes, we have for you something to cater to your impact driver perfectly: the 2569 Impact Socket Driver from Sunex.
The 2569 Impact Socket Driver consists of 43 pieces of premium 6-point sockets inclusive of both shallow and deep sockets.
You furthermore have a good range of extensions as well. The whole set includes Standard Sockets of the following sizes: 3/8″, 7/16″, 1/2″, 9/16″, 5/8″, 11/16″, 3/4″, 13/16″, 7/8″, 15/16″, 1″, 1-1/16″, 1-1/8″, 1-3/16″, 1-1/4″, 1-5/16″, 1-3/8″, 1-7/16″, 1-1/2″.
Deep sockets of the following sizes: 3/8″, 7/16″, 1/2″, 9/16″, 5/8″, 11/16″, 3/4″, 13/16″, 7/8″, 15/16″, 1″, 1-1/16″, 1-1/8″, 1-3/16″, 1-1/4″, 1-5/16″, 1-3/8″, 1-7/16″, 1-1/2″.
Extensions of the following sizes: 3″, 5″, 10″, 15″, and a ½ of an inch Universal Joint that pivots up to 22°.
Each and every socket is made from Chromium-Molybdenum Alloy Steel which are able to stand the test of durability and strength for use with your impact driver.
And of course, everything in the Sunex 2569 Impact Socket Driver Set is neatly organized and packed inside a convenient and travel-friendly hard case.
- A universal connection made it easier to use as it adapts any connector, so I was able to quickly cope with it.
- The organization within this set is performed at a high level; I have full access to any item of the set and do not take tens of minutes to search.
- The rugged body and finish of objects that are made of chrome-molybdenum alloy steel – it’s very strong!
- Sunex 2569 kit does not wear out and looks like new after a while, due to it has a radius of angles on the hex and square drive.
- The casing reliably holds all parts, extensions, and sockets with the front fastener, since nothing falls out even when closing.
- Sockets with deep holes are not useful to you almost never because of these internal grooves are reduced.
- The parts of Sunex 2569 were covered with heating oil, badly smelled and stained red.
6. BOSTITCH BTMT72287 Pass Through Socket Wrench Set – 65 Piece, 72 Tooth Ratchet
The BTMT72287 Pass Through Socket Set for car maintenance is from the very renowned and popular brand, BOSTITCH.
The BTMT72287 socket is a set of 65 pieces inclusive of a few deep sockets. It comprises of pass-through sockets, which means that you will be able to pass threads bolts and rods through them.
You have sockets of various sizes, starting from the smallest, which is 1/4 of an inch and 6mm.
And apart from all these, you furthermore get 2 pieces of heavy-duty ratchets of 2 varying sizes; each with 72-tooth gear system. This takes care of a lot of work, doesn’t it?
One neat design feature to the ratchets are that they have a rubber handle. In the words, you will no longer have to suffer from sore palms and fingers while wrenching!
Sockets are made from chrome vanadium steel and each come with laser-etched sizes stamped on through both SAE and metric.
You also have them stamped onto the case. Speaking of which, everything you are seeing here comes inside a very secure hard case. You will have no trouble storing or traveling with them, whatsoever!
Imported, heavy-duty yet so user intuitive. We like this socket set for mechanic
- A neat organization and a pair of ratchet mechanisms allowed me to keep every element of the kit in a separate place.
- BOSTITCH BTMT72287 includes three adapters, so I use standard connectors with a passkey anywhere.
- Sockets are made qualitatively, tightly, but not rigidly, so I can knock it out with my thumb.
- With this set I can cut a threaded rod or a deep socket without a direct passage – it’s multifunctional.
- I found metal latches here, although the other socket sets have plastic latches.
- The girth of the nests causes problems when I try to get it and apply all my physical abilities.
- The socket is free in the ratchet head.
7. Gear Wrench 80300P Deep Socket Set
Deep sockets. These guys are just as important as your standards, or shallow, sockets since they can reach places most sockets can’t.
We therefore think it is only fair that you show you a little something that is all deep socket goodness. And for that, we have the very popular Gear Wrench 80300P Deep Socket Set from Apex Tool Group.
This Deep Set comprises of 51 pieces of tools. Keep in mind that the set also includes your standard guys.
The Gear Wrench 80300P is inclusive of a thumb wheel ratchet, 2- and 6-inch extensions.
You furthermore have a Universal joint and SAE standard sockets of the following sizes: 3/16″, 7/32″, 1/4″, 9/32″, 5/16″, 11/32″, 3/8″, 7/16″, 1/2″, 9/16”.
Next, as the centerpiece of the entire set, you have SAE deep sockets of the following sizes: 3/16″, 7/32″, 1/4″, 9/32″, 5/16″, 11/32″, 3/8″, 7/16″, 1/2″, 9/16″.
Metric standard sockets of the following sizes: 4, 5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15mm.
Metric deep sockets of the sizes: 4, 5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15mm.
Basically, you are good to go as far as deep sockets go with this set. Moving on, one thing that you’ll quickly realize, and admire, about this set are its ratchets which, despite have a very low arc of 3°, is very much able to get into tight spaces all thanks to its super flat head.
You’ll love using the Gear Wrench if you happen to work with machineries with a lot of crevices. All of these amazing tools are, of course, tucked inside a hard case as usual.
- Offers wide range of deep sockets, and includes standards ones as well
- This set meets all the principles of universality, namely there are both deep as well as standard connectors in separate compartments of the enclosure.
- The quality of the details struck me, so each socket has a laser treatment.
- The body is also very high quality, where a separate compartment is allocated for each part.
- The elements of Gear Wrench 80300P Socket Set do not disintegrate due to the front locks (plastic).
- It also includes a ratchet that helps speed up the installation and removal of bolts, nuts in hard-to-reach places.
- Flat ratchet head gets into tight spaces
- Exceeds ASME torque performance standards
- Has a hard case
- Sockets move from the holders when the casing is slightly tilted.
8. Neiko 10288A Master Hex Bit Socket Set,
Our 8th pick for is the perfect buy for people who are looking for hex bit sockets. And we are talking about the 10288A Hex Bit Socket Set from Neiko.
The 10288A socket set consists of 32 pieces of a wide assortment of quality hex bit sockets. No accessories, no nothing. Straight forward and right to the point.
Each and every bit is made from bits made of premium S2 alloy steel which makes sure that it is ready to handle all the rough and tough jobs ahead of them.
As for the sockets they sit on, they are made from premium quality chrome vanadium steel for added durability, torque and longevity.
And last but not least, everything of course comes nicely packed inside a very durable carrying hard case!
- Neiko 10288A Bit Socket Set has durability because the bits are made of high-quality alloy steel. This hardness reduces wear.
- The outlets are made of steel with anti-corrosion finish and from the twisting moment provides more turning power.
- The bits are processed, have beveledtips, and are therefore inserted smoothly into the fasteners.
- I like the look of the chrome coating of the case, it seems very durable. Time will tell, but I think it’s durable enough.
- The ratchet does not bend and does not break at work, it feels confident unlike ratchets of other sets.
- It has thin plastic hinges that do not have durability.
- The latches do not work in time.
9. Neiko 10083A Socket Set – Master Torx & External Torx Bit, Total 60 Piece
If you are looking for something very straightforward and task-specific, then the 10038A Master External Torx Socket Set from the very popular Neiko just might do your good.
The 10038A Master Torx Bit Set, unlike the 3 other model we previously reviewed, is a tad bit different. A tad bit different in terms that it consists of sockets drivers, only. No ratchet, no other accessories.
Precise and straightforward, just like we said it was. However, we don’t want you to think any less about this set just because it isn’t as fancy as the rest.
The 10038A Master Torx Bit Set is , as per most users and consumer review, ideal for your automobiles!
This 10038A set comes with:
Total 17 pieces torx star bit sockets : T6 to T70,
Total 17 pieces tamper proof torx bit sockets : TT6 to TT70,
Total 12 pieces torx plus bit sockets : TP8 to TP60,
Total 14 pieces external torx sockets : E4 to E24.
All these are made from premium S2 alloy steel which only adds to its durability and strength!
And then, last but not least, you furthermore get a very beautiful, secure hard case which stores and protects all your sockets.
- Neiko 10083A Socket Set is what I can call universal due to 60 subjects, as well as a wide range of universal bits and sockets.
- Such a socket set has a high strength due to steel body finish, bits with a tendency to reduce wear.
- I observe a high organization inside the case (it’s plastic), so I can move around with this socket sets and not lose a single detail.
- The ends of the workers (mostly bits) are processed to protect them from damage to the edges.
- The outlets are also steel and perform a fast, powerful turn, probably due to a mirror chrome finish.
- Sockets feel free and do not hold securely.
10. TEKTON 3/8-Inch Drive Socket Set
And the final name to make it to our list of the best socket set for car maintenance is the 13101 Socket from TEKTON.
We have previously reviewed the TEKTON 13203 socket set, which is a brilliant set on it own.
If you want to step it down a notch and pick something a bit more affordable, then the 13101 socket set is what you are looking for!
The 1310 model has 45 pieces of 6-point sockets and other accessories up for offer. You get a good selection of both shallow and deep sockets, as well as a great variety in size. Here is a list of accessories, sockets, ratchets and their respective sizes:
8 pieces of shallow length sockets (6 point): 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 and 3/4 inch.
8 pieces of deep length sockets (6 point): 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 and 3/4 inch.
12 pieces of shallow length sockets (6 point): 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19 millimeters.
12 pieces of deep length sockets (6 point): 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19 millimeter.
As for accessories, you get 1 piece of 3/8 inch drive ratchet (7 inch, 72 tooth),
2 pieces of extensions: 3, 6 inch
1 piece of universal joint.
Every element is made from high quality chrome vanadium steel with a mirror chrome plated finish for added durability and torque.
All of these itsy bitsy pieces are then packed and organized neatly into the set’s carry or hard case. And to top it off, you are furthermore guaranteed by company when you purchase the TEKTON 13101. Sounds like a good deal to us!
- This is a large and versatile set that includes a universal connection and a 6-inch extension; other sets I have not seen this.
- TEKTON Drive Socket Set has a toothed ratchet mechanism with 72 teeth and a working swinging arc.
- Nests (as small, as well as deep) are made with torque and tend to capture the flat sides of the fasteners.
- In my work, I found that when you capture the flat sides of the fasteners (not the corners), this prevents rounding.
- This socket set is completely made of chrome vanadium steel with a mirror chrome finish – it looks very impressive and durable.
- I lost 3 jacks when it fell due to poor retention of the nests in the closed kit case.
- The ratchet requires a stronger switch.
Socket Set Buying Guide
Here are some of the most vital factors to guide your choosing process so that you get the leading socket wrench on the market.
Size of sockets
This was probably no surprise to you, but yes, you need to first of all decide on the sizes of socket you should get.
And this will be highly determined and manipulated by the type of job you’ll be doing with them. A 3/8 inch driver size is usually the most common and versatile. The reason being, you can easily transform the 3/8 driver into a ¼ or a ½ simply by using an adaptor. On the other hand, if you happen to do a wide range of tasks, then get yourself a socket set with a wide range of sizes.
Imperial or SAE
The sizes of sockets and other tools are marked in either imperial or SAE, or both.
Imperial states the sizes in mm while SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) denotes it in fraction. Luckily, may sockets set come with both SAE and imperial sizes so you can enjoy best of both.
Need for special sockets
Socket work can take you everywhere, and one socket doesn’t get all the job done. We therefore advice you to assess the type of jobs you do or are buying the socket set for.
Will you need deep sockets? Is there any need for impact sockets? Will you need sockets bits with various heads? Ask yourself.
Most inexpensive of basic socket sets are less likely to come with any sort of warranty or product security. And there’s not much we can do about it. However, for the sockets which come from a higher-end and more reliable brand, or a large, expensive set, we say consider getting warranty before purchasing.
Many sockets believe it or not, tend to snap on you regardless of brand or price. And we want you to stay assured against this when this happens. Many companies will go as far as provide lifetime warranty on each of their sockets so that’s something to look out for right there.
Benefits of Using the Socket Set
There is nothing wrong with purchase one socket, or maybe 2 sockets, at a time. However, for someone who doesn’t have all the time in the world to waltz around the aisles of home depot’s tool section, there is a socket set.
Socket wrench are so much more convenient that having to painstaking buying one socket a time. These sets usually comprise of a very good selection of sockets of various sizes and types. The good news is that even if you are not looking for a wide variety, you will come across smaller sets that still manage to offer you a good spectrum of sockets.
One single socket can get you through a hundred different types of fastening jobs. Can you imagine what an entire arsenal can do?
However, if you work with machineries, automobiles, for car maintenance or just some plain woodwork construction and repairs, then you may already know by now that each department requires and demands different types of sockets.
And having a proper socket set at your disposal can help you take on the challenge of being able to work on different projects and different surfaces.
Many socket sets will come with accessories that complement the sockets. You may easily find things like extensions, joints, bits, and most commonly, ratchets. With the help of all these accessories, you can do 10 times more and better than usual!
Above all and everything, one of the best reason to use a socket set is due to its convenience.
First of all, sockets inside the set are always organized, sized and marked. This means that the chances of you bashing your head against the wall trying to look for that perfect socket in a sea of 100 other sockets, is nil.
Speaking of which, most socket sets will come inside a hard case. This makes storing and carrying your tool arsenal with you so much easier. It furthermore means that you are less likely to lose or damage any of your sockets from negligence.
Different types of Socket in the Market
There are many types of socket in the market. Here are some most useful types.
1. Hex sockets
Because you don’t have all the time in the world to go through all the different types of sockets, we will introduce you to the absolute fundamental and basic ones. And let’s start with one of the most popular type of sockets: hex socket!
Hex socket is a socket that sits onto a hexagonal (hence, the name) nut or bolt. There are 2 types of hex sockets: 6-point and 12-point. Each points represent 1 angle. 6-point hex for a more heavy-duty work since it fits in naturally and more adhesively. 12-points, also called bi-hex, are for projects that are a little toned down.
2. Impact sockets
Not everything and every job will comply with the manual work. Sometimes, you’ll need a machine to do what the hands can’t.
For that, you have your impact sockets which are made to be used on an impact driver. One unique trait about impact sockets are that they are usually darker, or straight black, in color. This is due to the industrial finish or coating they have which give them the strength to comply with the machine. Impact sockets furthermore have a thicker wall compared to your regular ones.
3. Socket bits
This type socket has a bit attached to the head. Usually, you will find screwdriver bits on them, however, sockets bits are not limited to this only. They have a square ratchet and can you can use them both manually and on a machine like an impact driver.
4. Pass-through sockets
The name gives away everything, This type of sockets have a longer body than your common, standard sockets. And they, of course, have a hole through it. Thus, making it hollow.
Pass-through sockets are usually used to tighten and loosen bolts.
5. Universal joint
Though a universal joint isn’t a socket, per se, it is still a very close reflection of it.
How? Well, one socket can’t do all the job in the job. Sometimes, there will be odd angles, shapes and depth that it just won’t be able to conform to. That’s where a universal joint comes to play. All universal joints have a ball-swivel that offer up to 360° turning motion. And this is what help you get into those tiny, challenging places where your regular sockets can’t.
Top 7 Socket Set Brands in the Market
No matter what kind of DIY project you are doing, you will always need a wrench set for it. A socket set comes in handy in many ways and there are several brands available. They all come with different tool sets and you can choose as per your requirements.
Stanley is one of the popular brands that offer nice sockets in the best price range. The set comes with lifetime warranties and are made of best quality materials. Stanley is known for its state-of-the-art hand tools that come with various features. The set will make your job easier and faster.
TEKTON is another famous for developing high quality socket tool sets. It has been in the tool making business for more than 50 years and the tools and products that it produces has vastly improved in their performances and durability.
You will find high-tech socket tools set rivaling the top brands at the most affordable prices. TEKTON offers best of warranties and an efficient customer service. The TEKTON socket tool sets come in various sizes. They also famous for tap and die set.
Neiko needs no introduction at all. It is a US Company but the products are manufactured in Taiwan and China. This model includes some handy tools for both professional and home improvement DIY projects.
Although not well known as the other top company, the Neiko socket tools offer a range of hand tools that can efficiently achieve the desired results. The Neiko Tools USA brand are only available in the United States.
Sunex is another company offering a wide range of socket tool sets for various DIY projects like home improvement. The tools come with lifetime warranty and the prices are highly reasonable. The tools are handy, high quality, efficient and safe to use.
Sunex offers a complete range of impact sockets, lifting equipment, hand tools, air tools, tool storage, and much more. These tools come with best warranties and provide an efficient tool system for DIY projects.
5. Apex Tool Group
The Apex Tool Group is one of the largest socket tools manufacturers in the world with several of its branches scattered in several countries. You can find a wide range of ratchet sets for the DIY home improvements projects.
The socket sets come with easy to use tools that are completely safe and the warranties are the most attractive features of this company.
Craftsman is known to produce high quality line of socket tools, lawn and garden equipment. Craftsman has also features in the list of best hand tools brand in to magazines.
Currently, it’s known as the Stanley Bostitch and is known for its design and fastening tools that come handy for the home improvement DIY projects. The socket tools sets come with various tools like the staplers, staple guns, riveters, and glue guns. Bostitch offers quality, portability, efficiency and affordability. These tools are easier to work with and come with excellent warranties. The price ranges of the Bostitch are best in the market. Thay also have some great drill machine and others home improvement tools as well
Care and Maintenance of Socket Set
- Sockets inside a socket set are usually more well-off to begin with since they re protected inside a case. However, they inside of the socket do tend to get dirty and greasy over time with use. Use a brush and damp its bristles with cold, soapy water. Brush the interiors and wash away the gunk.
- One very top-secret tip you can use to get rid of rusting or discoloration on your sockets and wrenches is by using a jewelry cleaning solution on them.
- 1 part vinegar to 1 part water. Soak for an hour, and wipe away the loose debris.
- Invest in buying a socket organizer, which lets you color coordinate, mix and match and customize sockets. You also can make wooden socket organizer in a short time as a garage DIY projects.
- Always let your sockets dry out after a cleaning. Storing wet or even damp sockets or ratchets will not only invite premature rusting, but also infest bacteria and odor inside the case.
How to Use a Socket Set with an Extension Bar
If you’re reading this article, you probably want to know how to use a socket set with an extension bar.
If you’re a novice without much knowledge about home appliances, you might be a little confused about what all these terms mean exactly.
As such, before I tell you how to use a ratchet and socket, I’ll run you through a brief summary of all these technical terms.
What is a Socket?
A socket is a small rounded tool. It’s usually hooked to the end of a turning tool (ratchet, wrench, etc) and fastened around a nut or bolt to turn it easily.
One end of the socket comes with a hollow square. This is the end attached to the ratchet, and it’s called “drive socket” because this is the end that will be turned.
The other end of the socket is the head, and it’s the part fastened to the nut or bolt. Because nuts and bolts can come in a variety of shapes, so does the socket head. The most common socket head is hexagon-shaped.
What is a Ratchet?
A ratchet is a turning tool. It’s attached to the socket and turned to either fasten or loosen a nut or bolt if a wrench isn’t enough. The ratchet is used as an extension to be placed between the socket and the wrench.
It’s one of the most useful tools you can have. It helps extend the reach of the socket, and it also offers leverage with a firm bolt.
Furthermore, using an extension bar with the ratchet and socket provides even greater comfort. It can help the socket reach into small tight spaces.
Below I’ve given you a detailed explanation of how you can use a ratchet and socket with an extension bar.
Using a Ratchet and Socket with an Extension Bar
Step #1: First, you need to connect the extension bar to the ratchet. You simply need to make the ends meet.
Step #2: The drive square of the ratchet needs to be placed into the drive socket of the extension bar. The two need to be pushed together so they’re hooked firmly. As the ratchet square hooks into the drive socket of the extension bar, you’ll hear a slight “click”.
Step #3: Now you repeat the process with the socket. This time you attach the drive square of the extension bar to the drive socket. Push the two together till you hear a “click”, indicating that the extension bar is hooked into the socket.
Step #4: You’ve successfully connected the socket to the extension bar, and the bar to the ratchet. Now, you can fasten the socket head on to the nut or bolt that needs to be fastened or loosened.
Step #5: Turn the ratchet accordingly.
Disassemble the Extension Bar and Socket
After you’re done using the ratchet and socket, you can disassemble the tools. There’s a release button on the back of the ratchet that will release the extension bar. Click on it. In lieu of a release button, you can simply pull the two apart. After finish your job you should organize your socket set in a socket organizer.
To release the socket, you need to hold the socket in one hand, and pull the extension bar against the opposite end.
And voila! With that, you’ve successfully used a ratchet and socket with an extension bar!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Socket Sets:
What is an alloy that I see on sockets?
Answer: Alloy is basically a term that is used to imply that your socket is not made pure.
Now, don’t get all smarty-pants and assume that pure equals best. If anything at all, pure metals tend to be less versatile. Alloy is a mixture of 2 or more metal types.
What is S2 steel of chrome vanadium?
Answer:Chrome vanadium is one of the most common materials used in making sockets. It is made up of about 0.8% chromium and 0.1-0.2% vanadium, which is a formula for strength and hardness after its heat treatment.
S2 steel is harder than chrome vanadium, but here’s the catch: it is less ductile and more likely to snapping. We laid it out for you. Now you choose.
What exactly do you mean by torque of a ratchet?
Answer: torque, the basic term itself implies the turning force of an object.
Thus, the torque of a ratchet is the intensity and force with which a ratchet turns a socket.
Difference between hex and bi-hex?
Answer: is the same difference between a 6-point hex socket and a 12-point hex socket. Check out our “types of sockets” section to learn more about it!
What coating should I choose for use with an impact driver?
Answer:Excellent question! For use with an impact driver, always choose a black oxide finish. No other will do!
Other coating or finish will simply chip and crack from the impact driver’s vibrations and bashing.
Socket sets aren’t all that complicated, but they are difficult to get right. But now that you have our guide and you will be able to find the best socket set for the mechanic!
After that, take a look at some of the top-rated, popular and best in the market through our detailed reviews. You will not go empty handed from our review today, and that’s a promise!
We hope you find our article very helpful. However, don’t forget to do your own research. No help like self-help after all. See you next time. Take care!