Making holes on a glass surface has always been a challenge to many people. You may even end up breaking your whole window pane or glass surface if you don’t use the appropriate material to make holes.
Drill bits for glass are designed with sharp edges to enable them penetrate easily and create the hole depth.
Drilling your glass surface with a drill bit imposes less risk of breakage because the drill bits are designed to work with little pressure on the glass surface. This means you will be able to make even tinny holes without cracking or damaging your window.
Since there are plenty of drill bits for glass, the ones enlisted are ranked as the best drill bits for glass. Before settling for any set, you need to make sure it will do the intended job perfectly. The length, with and bit marks determined the kind of holes you are going to make.
Best Drill Bits for Glass: Reviewed
1. Drilax™ 10 Pcs Diamond Drill Bit Set Hole SawsThis is a multipurpose drilling set that comes with plenty of bits. Every driller or shaft has its own drilling depth with the smallest capable of drilling up to 0.25inch while the largest can drill up to 2 inch. Besides drilling glass, users will be able to drill marble, granite, ceramic tiles, porcelain and even kitchen materials like wood and metals.
It has a shank size of 3/8″ which makes it ideal for most of the drilling duties of up to one inch depth. The sizes that come with it include 1/4″, 3/8″, 1/2″, 3/4″, 1″, 1 1/4″, 1 3/8″, 1 1/2″, 1 3/4″, 2″. You are not supposed to use it when it is dry.
- You can perform a wide range of drilling activities with only one set
- Very robust to enable you drill even the hardest parts
- Easy to assemble and no experience needed to use it
2. LOT 9 Pcs SET Diamond Hole Saw Drill Bit Set 10mm – 50mmThough it is specifically designed to drill glass, this 9 pc drill set can also drill marble, Slate, and ceramic Tile. Its wide range of drill bits sizes can work with 3/8-inch and 1/2-inch drills so you can alternate to whichever size that seems fit for you so that you accomplish your drilling needs.
The sizes of its Nickle plated drill sizes include 10, 14, 16, 18, 20, 26, 32, 45 and 50MM so you can drill within that depth range. Its body is made from robust diamond to prevent any cracking or bending even when drilling toughest surfaces.
- Can withstand extreme forces due to its robust nature
- Lasts longer than anticipated due to its robustness
- Works efficiently to create patent holes without unnecessary damage
3. Diamond Hole Saw, Drillpro 15 Pcs Tile Hole Saw DrillThis Diamond hole saw is made from premium natural diamond that has undergone massive electroplating. It has an impressive performance and cutting effect due to its Nickel-plated design.
The diamond dust coating prevents the drill from any form of corrosion or chemical damage thereby making it to work efficiently.
Users are able to make patent and clean holes since there are no tremors or any resistance when using the drill. It works smoothly and you can make EASY chip evacuation hence no any form of unnecessary damage. It comes loaded with 15 different sizes of drillers including 6/ 8/ 10/ 12/ 14/ 16/ 18/ 20/ 22/ 25/ 26/ 28/ 30/ 40/ 50 mm.
- Easy to use so even if you are a new user, you will use it efficiently
- You can select any size you want depending on your surface
- Wide range of materials like glass, marble and ceramic tiles
4. 30 pcs SET 10 pcs. 1mm 10pcs. 2mm 10 pcs. 3mm Diamond DrillThis is an excellently made drill that comes with three sets of drills. 10pc of 1mm, 10pcs of 2mm and 10pcs of 3mm. The drill has shanks measuring 1/8 and it also comes with additional Fits drills, flex shafts and Dremels.
Designed to drill glass, ceramic tiles, marble and other hard surfaces, you can perform all your drilling works. It is tough and ideal for people who want to drill uniform or same size holes. If you want to drill clean holes without any unnecessary damage, this is the best drill set to have. You need to immerse it in a pool of water as you are drilling to cool it.
- Many drillers so you can use what is fit for your surface
- You can make multiple holes of safe size since drills are of same size
- Very durable and tough to drill even hardest surfaces without breaking
5. BLENDX Diamond Drill Bits – Glass and TileThis drill set comes with a pack of 10 pieces of different sizes to enable you drill many kinds of holes that you could want. The drill is made from diamond and it is robust and strong enough to deliver the best services. To make it more efficient, users are capable of adjusting drilling speeds, pressure level and lubricate drill with water they do their drilling work.
It is efficient and it is capable to drill the best holes without any sort of cracks. Bits sizes include 10 Sizes: 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 14mm, 16mm, 18mm, 22mm, 35mm. 40mm and 50mm so you can be sure to enjoy maximum efficiency when using it. Make sure you don’t use it on concrete places or surfaces because it will break.
- Efficient and accurate when drilling holes
- Drill with low pressure to prevent cracking of surfaces
- It can drill even the toughest glass
6. 1/2″ Inch Diamond Drill Bit Hole Saw for Tile GlassThis is a well-made driller that is coated with Diamond to increase sharpness of its cutting edges. It is simple to use and comes with side holes to remove all drilled material so as to create a patent hole.
It cuts glass and ceramic materials so you can be sure to use it on your house for efficient drilling.
To reduce rusting and corrosion, it is nickel plated so you can be sure your driller will last longer and serve you efficiently. It can only drill up 0.5 inches so if you need holes past that depth, you will need to look for other kind of drillers. It comes with 5pcs of 12mm each 1/2″ Inch.
- Nickel coated to prevent it from corrosion
- Efficient functioning to produce clear holes
- Easy to use even if you don’t have prior drilling experience
7. Neiko 00823A Diamond Grit Hole Saw Drill Bit SetWhen it comes to drilling sets, users want efficient, competent and durable drillers that will serve them well. These are the words that describe the Neiko Diamond drill.
It comes with 5 bits of sizes 5/32”, ¼”, 5/16”, 3/8”, and ½”. Its cutting shank depth measure ¾”and ¼” shank.
This means you can perfectly use it to create the best kind of holes in your different surfaces of glass and ceramic tiles. It is nickel plated to increase its resistance to corrosion thereby enabling it to last longer than anticipated.
- It is resistance to corrosion so you can drill even in acidic parts
- Durable and robust, you can drill even hardest parts or surfaces
- Drills nicely without cracking your surfaces at any cost, you get only patent holes
- The various sizes allow the user to make different kind of holes on the surfaces
8. Diamond Drill Bit Set, Drillpro 10 PCS Glass Hole SawBesides its premium strength, this drill bit set is known to create clean holes. It drills with very little pressure and its chips are very easy to remove. You don’t need to be an expert to use this type of drill because everything in it is simple. The manufacturer coated it with nickel to ensure no corrosion or any kind of damage can occur to it.
If you want to drill materials like glass, marble, tiles, granite, ceramic or surfaces, this is a perfect drill you can always have for yourself. Always make sure you use water otherwise the material you are drilling will melt.
- Accurate and precise, you can drill even the small holes without any faults
- Top Quality and durable to serve you efficiently always
- You can drill lots of surfaces not just glass as other drillers do
9. 30 Pack 1mm Diamond Drill Bit Jewelry Beach Sea Glass Shells Gemstones LapidaryMade from Diamond, this is one of the toughest and efficient drill you can find. It comes with a collection of 30 shafts that can drill up to a depth of 1mm. You can make uniform holes on surface of glass, ceramic and other kinds of surfaces because it comes with low pressure cutting edges.
Besides being able to drill on glass, it can also be used in drilling earrings and many people have used it on fine materials that are brittle and prone to breakage when subjected to large forces. You can use these bits on high speed Dremel-Type Rotary Tool.
- Very precise in drilling even small holes
- Strong to drill even hardest glass and surfaces
- 30 pcs which means you can choose whichever you are convenient with
- Easy to use and assemble because every piece is well made
10. Vermont American 13310 4-Piece Glass and Tile Drill Bit SetThis comes with a set of four drillers that spear pointed. The advantage of spear pointed drillers is that they can drill accurate and precise holes without breaking your surfaces in an unnecessary type of a way. All you need to do is to ensure you assemble them and connect to a source of power.
It can drill ceramic tile, marble, china, mirrors and glass so you can use it a wide range of materials. It has no batteries included so you will only be able to drill if you have electricity. It is made from carbide and coated with ant-corrosive materials.
- You can use it on a wide range of surfaces besides glass
- It is very easy to use since you can easily assemble bits
- Robust and durable so you can be sure it will serve you for long
Features to Consider When Buying Drill Bit for Glass
Drill bits are the structures that will determined the kind of holes you are going to drill on your surfaces. The materials on which you are going to drill on determines the kind of drill you should buy.
Some drills are meant for brittle materials while other drill bits are meant for hard surfaces like concrete floors. Below are some of the features worth considering before you buy a drill bit.
The Material Used in Making of the Drill Bit
Different materials are used to make different types of drill bits. Cobalt drill bits for example are meant to drill wood, fiber glass, PVC and Aluminum. This means if you use such a drill on other type of surface apart from the specified material, you will not get the required holes or you may even break the drill bit.
Find out If Your Drill Bit is coated
When drilling, your bit may be exposed to chemicals or corrosive substances. Regular exposure to such chemicals will reduce the efficiency and robustness of your drill bit thereby making it to be insignificant in the near future. To prevent drill bits from corrosive materials, manufacturers coat bits using Black oxide-HSS. If the drill you want to buy is coated, then you can be sure it will serve you for long. It can as be well be coated with Titanium.
Construction of the Drill Bit
Depending on the purposed use or role of the bit, different bits are made with a different design. Carbide-tipped drill bits remain sharper at the tip even after you drill several materials so you can be sure to use it efficiently. Flatter points like the ones with 135-degree angles are meant to into harder surfaces. Bits with steeper points such as those with 118-degree angles are suited for softer material.
Shape of the Bit
Drilling is meant to make holes for the insertion of objects on a surface or material. Depending on the material or object you want to insert, you need to get a bit that will create hole suitable enough to accommodate your objects. Counter skin drill bit, spade bit, plug cutter, step drill and Masonry drill are few of the many bits shapes you can find in the market. It is important to always find a perfect bit that will be suitable for drilling works you are planning to do.
How to Drill a Glass
If you are planning to drill a glass, it is important to first of all gather all components that you will need in your process. First, make sure you have a carbide drill bit because this is what is recommended when drilling glass. Using other kinds of bids may break your glass since it is very brittle.
Secure and Clean Your Glass
First, make sure your glass is in a very stable position where it will not slide or move during drilling. Drilling itself is an activity that exerts force on your glass so if you don’t support your glass well, you may damage your glass.
Attach Your Bit to Drill Machine and Connect to Power
Once you are set, you can connect your drilling components and if possible, make sure you wear a transparent mask to protect your eyes from particles. Turn on your drill machine and with little pressure, point your drill bit to the area where you want to drill. Drill until you reach your required depth and stop when you have reached your desired hole size.
Cool Your Drill Bit
As you are drilling holes, it is important to understand that you heat is generated. Excess heat can expand your glass and make it to crack so make sure you pour cold water as you drill so that you reduce excess heat. You will end up achieving the best holes that are prices and clean. You can even use oil to ensure the holes are smooth and uniform.
Hold Your Drill Firmly and Don’t Shake
Drilling while tensing will cause to drill bad holes and even ruin your glass. Make sure you are relaxed and ensure you are fully concentrating on your subject to prevent the bit from shifting to another direction. Preciseness when drilling is important because that is what leads to drilling of functioning and relevant holes.
Care and Maintenance of Drill Bits
Making holes on surfaces of glasses of ceramic tiles is stressful if you don’t have an efficient drill. As you buy your drill bit, you will realize all its edges are sharp and its laterals are very shinny. New drill bits tend to be very effective, precise and efficient. To keep them that way, you can implement several maintenance mechanisms that will always keep your bits efficient and reliable.
Always Use Your Drill Bit for the Perfect Material
If you buy a drill bit for drilling holes on your glass surfaces, make sure you don’t use it on concrete surfaces. The bits are built with typical strength to make holes on only on the specified type of a material. Glass drill bits should only be used on glass surfaces and nothing else unless you want to ruin it.
Always Clean Your Drill
As you drill glass, you should know that your bit is coming out with few small chips that may remain stuck on your drill bit. To ensure you don’t allow any of these materials to stay there, wipe your bit with a wet cloth immediately you are done drilling. You will make it ready for use and you will also prevent it from any form of unnecessary damage.
Sharpen Your Buts Always
For your drill bit to function appropriately, it is important to ensure you sharpen it. It will not only make sharp holes but it will even reduce pressure when making holes. Blunt drill bits are prone to breakage because you will need to push it harder to make holes on the glass. Buy a good bit sharpener to sharp your bits.
They seem like simple tasks but they may cost your drill bit if not performed on regular basis. Always make sure you take care of your drill bit if you want it to serve you for long.
Can I Use Drill Bits on Any Material?
No, you can only use your drill bit to drill on the specified material. You may end up ruining your surface or breaking your bit if you use it on the wrong surface. Always buy a drill bit that will serve you well and you can always ask before buying. You can find steel drill bits, metal drill bits, wood drill bits, tile drill bits, aluminum drill bits etc for different surfaces.
Why is the Set Containing Many Bits?
They are all for convenience, you can use them if you want to make uniform holes or you can use one at time so that you make your set last longer than you anticipate. For different sizes, you choose what to use based on the depth of the hole you would like to make.
Do Drill Bits Come With a Warrant?
No, most of them don’t come with a warrant but some manufacturer may accept warranties. These are metals single objects so you can tell at the time of buying whether they are competent or not. Most of them are made from robust materials so it is hard for them to break or detach while on use unless used on the wrong surface.
Can I drill a tampered glass?
No, you cannot drill a tampered glass, only the intact and inform glass services can be drilled on. Secure your glass, clean your surface and drill nicely without tensing and you will see how wonderful the glass is. Use water or oil to lubricate and cool your holes so that you don’t break your glass.
Drill bits come in different shapes, sizes and combinations. Users must examine the surfaces they want to drill holes on before they decide on the kind of drill bits to buy. Most of the bits use electricity and they don’t use batteries so you will need to always have power supply if you want to use them.
Make sure you use water or oil to cool your drill bits so as to reduce excess heat that may compromise your glass intactness. You need to maintain your drill bit if you want to enable it serve you well and last long.
1. Corded vs Cordless Drill : Which One Should You Buy
2. 14 Power Drill Safety Tips – You Should Never Forget
3. 35 Must Have Apprentice Electrician Tools List – You Should Know
4. How To Remove Rust From Tools Completely for the Better Performance
5. How to Change Drill Bit Black and Decker Perfectly